Boistfort Community Church
1069 Boistfort Road, Curtis, Washington 98538
In 1881, ¾ of an acre of ground was donated to the Methodist Episcopal denomination by Mr. and Mrs. Samuel T. Adams “for the purpose of erecting a building for worship and Bible teaching.” The first congregation was organised by Rev. D. W. Cameron as part of the Chehalis Circuit consisting of three preaching points. The present church building was built on the sight (sic) in 1888 under the pastorate of Rev. W.C. Hockett. A Sunday School was organized in 1890 with T.J. Hardwick as Sunday School Superintendent. Records show that the Sunday School was reorganized on Februaury 11, 1923 and affiliated with the American Sunday School Union (orig.: American Union Sunday School Association) on January 6, 1924. At that time as there was no resident pastor; the church received occasional sermons by visiting Methodist pastors from Chehalis and Napavine churches.
The Sunday School wing was added on the north side of the church in the early thirties. It consisted of one large room for all classes and was heated by wood stoves. In 1948 the congregation was reorganized as a Baptist Mission Church under the leadership of Rev. C.M. Strong. During his tenure he and Roland Meyers, a local store owner, constructed the new parsonage from materials recovered from a dismantled Baptist church in PeEll. The pews were also brought from that church and used in the sanctuary. During construction of the parsonage Rev. and Mrs. Strong lived in the open Sunday School wing using curtains as room dividers. They spent a hard, cold winter in the place heated only with the wood stove. The parsonage was dedicated on July 16th, 1950. Ironically, Rev. Strong never occupied it. Its first occupant was Rev. Chester Sager, his replacement. Rev. Sager and his wife Gladys came in the fall of 1950. While at Boistfort he was ordained. He also served as the school bus driver for the Boistfort School District. Rev. Sager was followed in 1953 by Rev. Elmer Frost, a retired minister from First Christian Church of Chehalis.
By now the church was exchanging its Baptist nature for one which was strictly non-denominational and “community” oriented. Rev. Frost served until his death in 1974, being much beloved within the community. The large stained glass now in the foyer of the new auditorium is dedicated to his memory. Rev. Lyle Garrison, a retired Assembly of God minister residing in the community, took his place. During his ministry a number of Boistfort Valley residents accepted Jesus Christ as personal Savior and were received into membership of the church. Also, during this time the Sunday School wing was remodeled to include six classrooms. Rev. Garrison and his wife Edith were followed by Rev. Lloyd Thompson and his wife Sue who had American Baptist Affiliation. While the Thompson’s were here the parsonage was remodeled to include a den and a new garage. They were followed in 1980 by Rev. Gerald Jones, a retired military chaplain, who served as interim pastor. In August, 1980, the congregation, in a step of faith, called its first full-time pastor in 27 years, Pastor A.R. “Buddy” Patton, who was ordained on August 2, 1981 and served faithfully for 18 years. On June 10, 1984 what came to be called Miracle Sunday,” God provided enough funds, donated materials, labor, and pledges in advance to complete “debt free” a new addition which included a new auditorium. That addition, which doubled the area of the church building, was completed and dedicated on June 15, 1986.
Pastor Rex Beresford was called in November of 1999, and AWANA Clubs were started the following year, reaching out to boys and girls in Boistfort Valley, Doty/Dryad, PeEll areas and beyond. Our strong emphasis on Missions has included sponsoring and encouraging teens and young people through Christian camp ministries and short-term mission trips, as well as taking several group trips to Mexico, doing building projects and Bible Schools. God has continued to bless the Boistfort Community Church and provide for its needs, and the fellowship of believers here continue to glorify God and proclaim that Jesus Christ, the crucified and risen Lord of all, is the only answer to the problems and guilt of men, women and children.
This excerpt was taken, in 2018, from a printout in the foyer under the stained glass spoken of as in memory of Frost. In recent years it was carefully transferred from the historic sanctuary (now fellowship hall) to the present sanctuary foyer.
Read more about our Missions and Youth Ministry.